Friday, July 10, 2009

Malcolm X (1992)


I've been wanting to watch this movie for a very long time now. I finally got the chance last night to sit down and watch it with a couple of friends. Before watching this movie I really did not have sufficient knowledge about Mr. X's history, but had heard several of his speeches and thought "Boy! what a great preacher that man is.". I really enjoyed listening to his speeches, which in return made me extremely anxious to watch the movie starring Denzel Washington. I've seen most of Denzels movies and loved them all. The mans acting is flawless and he knows what scripts make a good movie. The only poor decision I think he had done in the past was when he picked 'Out Of Time' - maybe the lovely Mendes was his motive, who knows.

Back to topic. I thought the acting was outstanding, and at times I got carried away, and thought Malcolm X was the star and not Denzel. For the sake of those who haven't watched this movie yet, I don't want to get in to alot of detail on what I thought about the events that took place in the life of Mr. X and the paths he chose. But what I can say is that Malcolm X was an excellent debater and preacher. He was determined before the 'true Islam' period of his life for the wrong reasons, and when he detached himself from Elijah Mohammed for the right ones. End of the day he did what he did to seek the truth for his people, and had what it takes to get a significant number of audience to portray him as a leader and listen to what he had to say. That alone is an accomplishment given the circumstances at the time.

I, personally, am a sucker for movies that revolve around racism and discrimination, and my No.1 movie in that genre would still remain "Remember The Titans" (also starring Denzel Washington). If you, as my self, find it essential to see all Mr. D's work then you will not be disappointed watching Malcolm X, as he was the perfect candidate for this one.

Note: Its over 3 hours long, so make sure its not close to your bedtime, as you don't want to wake up to the closing credits:).

No comments:

Post a Comment